Friday 12 August 2011

Progress Report

A quick blog to update my progress.

I am still going to the gym - most days actually although my target was five per week - and I'm genuinely beginning to enjoy it.  I always thought that idea of an endorphin hit after exercise was just sporty people being, well, sporty but it seems I was wrong!  I am loving how I feel after I've really worked hard.  So that's good.  Also, if you time a trip to the gym right you are forced to watch Jeremy Kyle with subtitles and that's hilarous... sick but hilarious.  Afternoon sessions mean a full dose of Come Dine With Me (also with subtitles).  The reason I don't take earphones and listen is twofold.  Firstly, my lack of coordination is likely to mean if I multitask by listening with something that needs plugging in to both a machine and me, anything could happen.  Second, the people who actually write subtitles are appalling and make some superbly funny mistakes.  Today for example, whilst rowing (2,000 meters in under eleven minutes - I thank you) the news was on and the journalist was talking to a group of be-hooded young men about their recent involvement during the London riots.  The caption underneath read:

"Yeah, we was like at Tottenham, Bromley and cat food"

worth every penny of membership fee I think you'll agree.

Anyway - to details of my progress... drum roll... (me tapping the keyboard will have to do...)

  • I have lost just over a stone in weight so far (this means I now weigh 72 kgs in new money so have 99 to go - which sounds a lot but I'm thinking slow and steady wins the race etc - and the race is only with the Grim Reaper so hey ho!)
  • My fat belt has been put on one side to go on the bonfire I plan to have with my old clothes.
  • My old thin belt has been tightened to the third notch.
  • My bra size has reduced to 36D (which is still plenty thanks - a later blog on the purchasing of sports bras will follow when I have some more time)
  • My knickers are now size 12 as are the jeans Frankie bought for me yesterday.
  • SIZE 12!!! To be brutally honest, although I can do them up and could wear them all day, it is going to be another week before I can say I'm totally comfortable which is why they are hanging up in the sitting room to be admired - Label 'size' to the front.
  • My blood sugars are good although I need to pick up a prescription of lancets in order to be able to test now so it will be a few days before I can check it properly.  Last reading was 5.3 - which is pretty ok.
  • The vile 'lavatory based' side-effects of Metformin (diabetes medication) have worn off and their appetite suppressing qualities seem to have kicked in.
  • My BMI has dropped to a point or two and is just abot the 'normal' range (it was far closer to 'obese' before) but I am expecting to hit normal any day now. 
  • I'm crossing my fingers that my next cholesterol test will show results even though I am not taking the statins prescribed for me as I am convinced they give you brain damage (no - I have no logical reason - I just get totally ditsy when I do take them and they make my legs ache). If weight loss, healthy eating and exercise doesn't have a massive impact, then I will take the doctor's advice and swallow them.  I just have to try for myself first - that's my call, not something I am suggesting anyone else does. 
As my prize for doing so well, I have, in addition to my 'Jeans as Curtains' display (until next week), a beautiful turquoise and silver pendant, earrings and (once it has been made SMALLER!!) ring.  From the wifey. For which I am most grateful - they are very beautiful - gems and wifey: only a star like her would opt to do the diet, gym etc alongside me all the way and help prep the meals (apart from the odd bottle of beer she's following the same 'regime' - but I think that's a carb or two well earned). She is currently working across the table from me which is good because just a few minutes ago we had a slight panic that her specs had gone in the washing machine but it was a false alarm (PHEW!)

One or two people have asked me what I'm doing diet-wise and whilst I must point out I'm not qualified to recommend diets to anyone and if you plan to do a diet it is your own and your doctor's thing, I am finding Patrick Holford's 'Low GL Diet' very good.  It is basically sensible eating with portion control and very carefully managed carbohydrates (my weakness and it would seem, my poison).  The only part I haven't mastered yet is the giving up of the tea.  I did try cold turkey but a pick-axe-like headache and a lack of vision made me decide to come back to that once things elsewhere are more sorted!  I think for now the vice of tea is a fair one.  Otherwise it is ok - some nice recipes and two snacks a day on top of meals.  The Patrick Holford recipe for Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes is particularly yummy - no, actually, really, really yummy.

Well, that's about it.  I'm delighted I've managed a good start but I'm not complacent.  I've already upped my game at the gym by moving onto a more intense 'workout'.  Sometimes I even get my legs and arms going at the same time on the crosstrainer but it does depend on who is next to me.  I find it very difficult not to fall off when on one side there's a great, fat, sweaty bloke going really slowly and on the other an abnormally muscled child-woman going at 300 revs a second.  It throws my rhythm all out and things get a bit fallopity in the arms and legs department! 

Right, nose back to the grindstone - dissertation time. I have a hot date with Mr. Dickens and he doesn't like to be kept waiting...


3 comments:

  1. Note to self:
    Don't start with "a quick blog" when you are inevitably going to yap on for ages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done indeedy! Onwards and upwards!

    I love subtitles too - the errors are so hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog and love how well you're doing with the boring business of being healthy. Bravo!! xxx

    ReplyDelete