Thursday 4 August 2011

A brief hello

This is just a very quick post to update on my health progress - I'm going to be eyebrow deep in dissertation stuff for the next couple of weeks so may only dip in a bit.  Once that beast is out of the way - well, the PhD starts (at least, it is supposed to - I'm wondering if I want to put myself through it right now!).

Anyway, latest news is my blood sugar has been regularly hitting 5s which in 'Diabetes World' isn't bad AT ALL compared to the double figures I was hitting.  When I wake it is low 6s which is also an impressive drop.  Now I just have to maintain that.  Which is the hard part.

Weight-wise, I'm doing OK so far I have lost 10 lbs 7 oz - I have been making it to the gym at least 5 times in a week and sometimes Yoga too.  I've had a no Yoga week this week due to pulling my back (not doing anything bendy or gym-tastic - I bent over to get a drink of water from a water fountain and it twinged just a bit so I've been resting it a little).  The whole what to eat thing is a whole other blog and I'm going to be delving further into the ridiculous amount of conflicting, mad and downright dangerous suggestions out there for diabetic blood sugar/weight control.  Low carb, high carb, high protein, low fat, high fat - you name it, someone's selling a book about it. And claiming that their 'diet' will cure diabetes... er.. yeah - I'll come back to you on that one.

My weight loss so far means I am on the verge of moving from a BMI in the 'overweight' realm to the land of 'normal'.  To have a major impact on my diabetic control, I have to head deep into normal before I can relax a little so there's a long journey ahead.  ONWARDS! Through the Valley of the Diets with its protein pits and carb caverns, into the great big beyond...

In other news, I saw a real dragonfly yesterday and my sunflowers are about to bloom.  Which is good because wifey is away and I need to fill up the gap with something smiley.

Probably a day off gym tomorrow as the parents, sister, nephew and nieces are coming for the day - and possibly my youngest boy (20) and his girl too.  This means noise, cooking, eating and more noise.  It'll be fun. Staying focused on the sensible will be a bit of a challenge but I'm ready.  Except for the hoovering....

No comments:

Post a Comment